Friday, January 9, 2015

The Nicest People

Sometimes it seems like terrible things happen to the nicest people.  I recently found out that a lady I got to know in the NZ scrapbooking world has been diagnosed with breast cancer. I was deeply affected by this - who wouldn't be? Even though I've only known M for a short time and I hardly get to see her in real life very often, I know that she is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. At times like this you think: What can I do?  As I don't live in the same city I can't just pop over and help out with whatever needs doing but I can make and send a card letting her know that I am thinking of her.


Here's the inside of the card. This time I added the small message on the bottom left hand side of the card rather than on the right hand side.



In my stash I have a stamp set from Amuse Studio which was designed to support breast cancer.  They only charged shipping on the stamp set - not for the stamp set itself. I think shipping was only $2.95. When I decided to make a card I knew instantly that I needed to use that stamp set. I love the phrase: Fight Like A Girl. Only women understand this threat and fight so I thought it was appropriate. As a side note, there is an online campaign, I believe was started by Jennifer Garner, about stopping the negativity behind the phrase "like a girl". It is never used in a positive way like: you fight/throw/play like a girl. When I read about it I really understood where they were coming from. Let's change our thinking one person at a time. So my friends: fight like a girl - I mean that in the best, most positive way.

When I made this card I just went with inspiration. I didn't have a challenge in mind but it just happens to fit a couple of challenges. Here's my dilemma: does it make the sentiment behind the card less if I enter it in online challenges? I truly hope not!


The challenges are:
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Make New Friends But Keep The Old. The challenge is here .  This card is for a newish friend and I used items I already had in my stash (old friends).
Inspiration Emporium Challenge - Fresh Start. The challenge details are  here . I'm making a fresh start on using my stash. My 2015 resolutions include using up my stash and not adding to it (hard to do when I already want to order some of the new dies Tim Holtz is releasing at CHA this week!). This card uses items I already had and nothing new was bought.

Materials:
Paper (by Allison Kreft for Echo Park), Cardstock (Stampin' Up!), Ink (Stampin' Up!, Ranger), Stamps (Amuse Studio), Journal Tag (Bella), Embossing Powder (Celebrations of Australia), Doily, Twine, Ribbon.


No comments:

Post a Comment